Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week 10: It began in 1100 and it ends in 1100


Last night, after the final performance of New Slate I was helping Julia Cost carry some of the film equipment to store in 1100. When I walked in and looked at the studio I started chuckling because the lighting was stunning. In the corner on the mirror and barre side of the studio just one of the lamps was on. It had this beautiful amber glow to it and lit up one of the large circular vents. There was also a chair randomly placed in the center of the room and it was wonderfully silhouetted. First of all I have to say that after I showed Julia and we laughed at the absurdity that something so beautiful was produced and we had the fortune of finding it. I realized how much I have learned and grown in this class. 10 weeks ago I am not sure I would have even noticed the lighting in the studio. I mean I may have seen that the room was dark but thats about all. That said, what spoke to me about this lighting compositionally was the isolation. What was engaging to me about this was that there was a lot of focus on the chair just because of where it was placed in the space. It was interesting to see how a light source could support that without being directional purposefully. It was almost an accidental focus which sounds like it might be fun to play around with in some way. Could a lighting designer play with not directly shining light on the figure they want lit. What if you saw an entire solo where the light purposely missed the mark every Que? I am sorry the photo is a little dark.

1 comment:

  1. Really intriguing post. I am so glad this class has made you so aware of light.

    You and Julia should do a piece together as your ideas in a weird way would really compliment each other.

    The lighting idea is interesting and should be tried.

    Thanks!

    Lonnie

    ReplyDelete