Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week 7: Feeling Light

This week I found myself in the dance studio for a few hours and when I came outside I was amazed at how bright the sunlight was. I momentarily lost my vision. It was interesting because I felt a little frightened by the situation but I also liked the warmth on my face. There was something comforting in that. What I think is interesting about this is that I had a very visceral response to the light. It was an almost immediate reaction. This kind of response might have to do with the fact that the light felt like a physical thing. I am wondering if there is a way to safely manipulate light like that in a performance. Can you make a viewer feel light?

2 comments:

  1. I once lit a dance piece where 1/2 way through it the dancers, all in a line US, marched DS and when they hit PlasterLine, I blinded both the dancers and the audience in light - we got a standing ovation for both performances at that moment and it was only 1/2 way through the piece - there is something there

    ReplyDelete