Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week 9 Site Specific: Spectrum














Like many in our class, I observed the Irvine Spectrum. It is a very different experience when you go with the task of observing the light. I noticed a lot of warm amber being used (or warm incandescent looking) light. There are occasional blue or pink accents in the overall space as well. The space is lit by several smaller lights and the architecture is showcased (such as the arches or things connecting the alleys of stores. I feel the light contributes to an inviting, joyful, and intimate feel. Things feel bright because of the contrast, but overall it is soft low intensity lighting that is warm. I also think the collection of little soft light sources which creates depth in the space that connects me to the intimate feeling. I can't take credit for the above photos, my attempt at photographic the outdoor location was unsuccessful.



I want to start with the store that was less successful with their lighting. This is inside Foreign Exchange. Their mission is to "unify different cultures and diversities through fashion" and it values "attention to detail, comfort, and quality". I don't think the lighting is terrible, but its what I would call, "whatever lighting". The best word to describe the lighting design is that it is unfocused. In this photo alone, there are seven different fixtures that say different things. In their defense however, you could say they were being "diverse" with their lighting choice. (Laughs). When I think diversity, I think vibrant with life. This store is shades of gray at best. I don't think the lighting does a very good job at focuing the eye towards the clothing either.


This is a photo inside the Levi's store. Whenever there is track lighting in homes on HGTV, there are always critiques of it being "so 90's", but this design is more successful than the latter. The design supports the rugged and timeless feel. There lighting is less diffused as well, so you can better appreciate the texture and dimension of the clothing. The lighting is also closer to how a home or art gallery might be lit. So in that sense it is more inviting.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice subtle observances of intent and lighting design :)

    ReplyDelete