Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 7: TV Glow

This week I found myself looking into a neighbors apartment. They were watching TV in a dimly lit room and I could not stop looking at the way the entire room was lit in the rhythmic pattern of images changing on the TV. I think this image is familiar to most, but we do not often take a second look at it. I was really interested in the purple blue glow that brightens and softens at a varied cadence. Light can have a rhythm! I felt as mesmerized as the viewer of the TV program by this glow. It is similar to the way I look at fire but this light is so artificial that it fills me with a feeling of wonder as well as smallness. I started to think about all the technology I do not understand and realized that I may not be qualified to use some of the technology I use. I am interested to see depending on the context of a piece what this kind of lighting would do to help tell a story. Or would it just look like a cool lighting trick was being utilized?

1 comment:

  1. I think lighting can definitely help tell this story but you are right, there is a fine line between telling the story and looking like an effect

    ReplyDelete