Saturday, October 9, 2010

This is a photograph I took back home in Indiana. It is the sunset over the Chicago skyline of which I can see from the beach by my home. The skyline is blurred by the field of vision, but what was more interesting to me than the skyline when I took this photo was the sunset and the dune grass. The sunset is amazingly smooth in this photo. The light is blending in such a way that the warmth of the sunset and the last moments of sun are almost seamless with the cool of the clouds and lake water. Besides the soothing and calm effect of the light, there is the beautiful aspect of silhouette inherent to sunset. Sometimes silhouettes can be very stark, mysterious, blunt, and dark, only making an impression of shape. Yet, what captures me here is that the silhouette of the grass is equally as calm as the sky. Because the backlight is so soft and there is some definition of the grass where some light is still catching its edges and face, the calm of the moment still remains. For me, this is a very nostalgic photograph that reminds me of my home and how sunsets can surround you with a small sense a warmth and peace before the day comes to an end.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice detail! Really nice photo clarity accompanying your description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please remember to start your posts with the week we are in. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete