Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 4 - Australian Staircase

I was going through some old photos of my trip to Sydney, Australia, and although I took a bunch of shots of the gorgeous coasts and beaches, I kept coming back to this picture, again and again. I took this photo in an old building in downtown Sydney that now serves as a concierge center for a surrounding shopping mall and tourist attractions. I originally took it because I found the wall colors and the detail on the railings and columns to be very classic. However, now that I look at this photo from a "lighting" perspective, I feel that there are some very interesting emotions being presented here. When I look at just the upper half, I get a feeling of old royalty, but when I look at the lower half, I am reminded of something mysterious, like a scene from "The Phantom of the Opera." Combined, I look to the dark staircase as a connection between the two worlds, which gives me an overall feeling of historical legends coming to life.

1 comment:

  1. Nice observances and comments on the complexity of the image in terms of emotion

    ReplyDelete